Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell: Part 2

I wasn't able to get video of the 11 o'clock Rand Paul coverage last night.

But WHAS11 did post text online.

Unsurprising, Paul wouldn't commit to their question about whether Paul would support McConnell for Senate Minority Leader.

"I like both of them and I don't know that I could make a judgement. I have to win the primary first," Paul laughed,
"So I don't think I'd make a judgement on how I'd vote for leader, but I think obviously Kentucky having a leader is good
for Kentucky."

I think Paul handled this "trap" question well. "I'm not running against McConnell," he said. Indeed, in my mind, it is a question set to trap him, because if he answers yes, he looses his support base because philosophically at least, Mitch, is part of the problem: e.g., Mitch voted for the bailouts.

If he answers no though, then he's attacked for being anti-Kentucky, etc.

Being truthful and saying, "I don't know." is the only way to handle this. At the same time, he sort of made a play for DeMint.

Personally, it sounds to me like DeMint and McConnell are both jockeying to see how they can use Rand now that it appears like he might actually win this primary race. Though I could be way off base here.

I'll report on Rand's meeting with Mitch as soon as I know more.

Related
Ideological conservatives put pressure on GOP

Update:
Trey Grayson and Mitch McConnell at the Bailout BALL -- Again.

Rand Paul
Trey Grayson

No comments:

Post a Comment